View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Do I have recourse (landlord BS)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Umm. Is this based on the fact that your walk was not cleaned this morning? Why not call the landlord first and ask him when the walk will be shoveled? He could have been caught off guard by the first snowfall of the year -- I always was when I lived in snow country...

If you have been told that it will not be cleaned -- What kind of home do you rent? Is this a multi-unit property? Your legal rights can vary.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is based on the phone call I had with him this morning.

Here is the other thing: The units are quads, so most of the walkway is used by multiple units, (none of which are occupied, save mine) so when this place is full, how do we determine who shovels?

[/ QUOTE ]

That answers the question. It is common area. Is the building in New York or Pa. In New York, the landlord is generally responsible for maintaining the common areas such as this walkway. (Probably the case in PA as well, but I can't say for sure.) I would recommend that you write to the landlord and politley request that the walks be shoveled before 7AM (or whatever time) on days when it snowed overnight. If you don't get a proper response, you will need to report him to the proper agency in your municipality. Most building departments/sanitation departments have escolating fees for these kind of things -- he could get a ticket for $100 the first time, $250 the second time, etc... but it varies a lot.

Call city hall...