View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Smooth-Calling your Button: Always a Mistake? NL

We talked about this at pocketfives when the book came out and many disagreed with his recommendations for changing his raises .

He is blatantly wrong in saying that you should only raise twice the BB with your better hands and 3 x the bb with your good but not great hands . Sure , if you're playing against a brain dead poker player (which there are lots) then his strategy is really good . On the other hand , it's not world class advice . Any good player can exploit his strategy and fold every time he doubles the bb because of his propensity to play premium hands this way .

I prefer keeping all your raises the same . If you do decide to vary your raises , then it should not be dictated based on the value of your cards . It should be as random as possible .

Secondly , I think he's mistaken in suggesting that you should always at least call on the button . This definitely depends more on your opponents than anything else . He did mention somewhere that if your opponent raises a lot then you can fold your very worst hands so I can't be too hard on him :P .

For the most part I think it's a raise or fold on the button but this isn't always true . If you believe that this player will likely fold to your raises pre-flop but that he is a terrible post-flop player , then it's actually a good idea to limp with hands like a-8 , k-10 .Sure you may win 1.5 BB's by raising but you may incur him to make additional errors post-flop which exceeds 1.5 BB's .