View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much everything even loosely related to the "audiophile" market is a scam, whenever anyone does a double blind test the audiophiles freak out(because they've just spent $400 on a volume knob and admitting they got took is too great a blow to the ego) and claim the test was invalid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about this stuff but my intuition is that theres a significant grain of truth to what you're saying but that there's also a real difference between the speakers you can get for a few hundred bucks and the speakers you can get for a few thousand. Please to be linking the studies you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why Nielso got so defensive, clearly components are the least scammy part of the niche market. He and I would differ on where the diminishing marginal return on investment becomes unbearable for components(and probably by a lot), but I think he'd likely admit that diminishing marginal return exists.

The pure scam is the cabling and power cords and etc. stuff. $17k speakers are not worth $15k more than $2k speakers to a reasonable person, but they do have some real physical differences (that are then translated to significant perception differences through the power of self-delusion).

The cabling stuff is all absolutely hilarious to read, though, let me try to find a link I read that was a roundup of various power cords. It was on some audiophile forum where even mentioning double blind testing was a bannable offense.

Also, I'm not trolling, Nielso, people need to know that the audiophile market is specifically targeted to exploit Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.