View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: the proof is in the pudding

[ QUOTE ]

What is the definition of a troll

Is a troll someone who is purposely pretending to be retarded? or is a troll someone who genuinely is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be either, some really believe what they're saying is true and some don't. It matters less than you'd think. The main idea behind trolling is simply to stir [censored] up. They make purposefully inflammatory posts designed to bait people into flaming them or engaging in a long, drawn-out useless argument. They get a kick from getting reactions out of people. It's often disguised as trying to start a meaningful discussion about something, e.g. see Sklansky's posts on various other forums.

[ QUOTE ]

Also to those making bets with the suspected "troll", how often have you ever had real action from a thread like this? He comes here looking for fame and possibly affirmation of his beliefs and you directly contradict him and want to take the other end of him in a prop bet...Now how could you expect him to bet with you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm sure that not many bets with trolls actually take place, mostly because once confronted by someone willing to back up their argument with money, they usually disappear or backtrack, change their terms, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

This leads me to believe offering to bet against someone is just another "my penis is larger than yours because I say so" argument. Which is essentially also a troll job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree that it's just an e-peen thing. The regulars in this forum enjoy betting and always have their eyes open for +EV bets. If someone comes in making outlandish statements, then we have no problem trying to make some money off them if the opportunity arises. Supporting your argument by being willing to place money on it strengthens your case and forces the troll to put up or shut up, basically. It also helps to educate the new folks reading the threads; they will be less inclined to believe the trolls who are spouting incorrect (and often harmful) ideas if they see respected regulars willing to make high-stakes bets against them.