View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Buffy Season Two - maybe spoilers

I love seeing how many people are getting turned on to Buffy. I didn't start watching the show until season 6. Over the years I had caught a few episodes here and there but didn't "get it". While season 6 was airing I had the opportunity to catch season 1 on DVD. I was hooked. Courtesy of the Space network running a new episode every night my wife and I were completely caught up by the time Season 7 aired.

You definitely need to start with season 1 though. The character development over the seven seasons is fairly intricate and if you miss out on this you may never catch on to the series. Also small events from previous seasons may have a more significant impact later in the series. For example (in white): <font color="white"> One episode of season three has Angel being tormented by what he thinks are the spirits of those he has killed - including Jenny Calender. In turns out it is actually The First Evil taking on these forms. The First resurfaces to become the Big Bad in season 7. </font> Although season one can be trying at times it is essential viewing if you want to watch the entire series. The good news is it's only 12 episodes long.

Angel is the same although its first season is slightly better than Buffy's. A few things happen during the first season that dramatically improve the series. The most significant is (in white) <font color="white"> the death of Doyle </font> which allows Cordelia to develop into an actual multi-dimensional character who is integral to the show. The same happens for Wes as he sheds to dorky Rogue Vampire Killer persona and becomes kinda badass... oh yeah, and Fred is hot.

I refused to watch this show for so long and almost missed out on it because of the whole Teen Vampire Killer thing. My wife and I (both educated, professional 35 year olds) became huge fans. The show is easily ranked in my Top 10 all time series.

EDIT: Joss Whedon has created an 8th season of Buffy in comic book format. They are three issues in - I haven't read any yet but will order them at some point in the future. (ugh. I feel 12 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])