View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Mountaineer Trip Report- WV

Ok, here is the report from last night:

I got there around 9pm, and it was fairly open. I splashed around at a 3/6 limit game, waiting for a seat at the Omaha H/L game. Even at 3/6, it was amazing at how bad the players were. Standard 7-9 players seeing every flop, raised or not - it gave a LOT of potential to flop a monster, and make some great money - Which I did. Nobody folds! Granted, you get sucked out on (guy with 4-3 catches up to my kings on the river with a board of 4-6-9-J-4) but overall, you can make money if you play A-B-C poker.

The Omaha game was tight, but beatable. I was card dead for a few hours, but ended up squeaking out a small profit.

I ended up knowing some of the dealers/floor from playing in games around Pittsburgh (papoker.com and similar firehall tournies) At any rate, I started picking their brains for some of the better action there since I was in laid-back limit mode for the evening.

The 2/5NL game is just as sick as everyone says. So much so that with my reputation alone I was offered to be staked in the game, because it was so easy to beat. I might have to take them up on that. Expected profits of around 2k a session are not unreasonable. The issue is having the roll to do it - since it's likely that you will get busted out by some donkey chasing a naked flush draw or something against your set... costing you 500 bucks. I'd say 1500 is a good roll if you plan on playing 2/5NL for the night.

For 1/2NL, there is no way to describe how bad it is. People shoving pre-flop with pocket 4's, calling down with bottom pair, etc. And it doesn't matter what you bet! You can fire 40 dollars into a 15 dollar pot, and still get 3 callers.

The smoke sucked. I would not be shocked if they change it so that you can't smoke anywhere on that floor. What is the point of having a non smoking poker room if the railbirds can literally stand on the rail blowing smoke in? I'd recommend a smoking room or section in that building - it's big enough.

Anyway, the bad stuff:

The TV's were small, and non-existant. They really need to get bigger screens, and get them on the pillars around the room. a few 20 inch TV's on the far walls doesn't do 75% of the room any good. The cocktail service was not bad, but paying for booze is bad. It didn't deter a lot of people who felt like just literally handing me all of their chips.

Good room, with a lot of potential. I might have to check out Wheeling, just for the contrast. I hope it's helpful.

BTW - They are having a weekly 10/25 game on Fridays, I believe. Not a bad game, and they run a 5/10 must move alongside it. Great higher limit action that you would not expect, and they seperate the good dealers/staff on the other side of the room with the higher altitude games.

Overall the dealer quality was average, but improving. I had a few dealers through the night (thanks Eric) that I've played with, and know that they knew what they were doing.

Hope this helps!