View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Turning 35, or Starting the Back 9

[ QUOTE ]
I was sort of dreading checking this thread. I posted it after work on Tuesday and regretted it instantly. In retrospect, I could have spent more time elaborating at the very least.

Yesterday was indeed a good day. It was sunny and warmish here, with a light breeze. That made for some good birdwatching on the hike. My wife ended up going to work to fix a minor catastrophe, so I invited my mom to join me for the hike and lunch.

My favorite hiking spot didn't offer many unique birds to look at, but the winter flocks are forming and foraging en masse. A gregarious bunch of cedar waxwings was fun to watch, as these noisy little birds had themselves a feast at some kind of berry tree. The berries looked almost too big for them to swallow, but they crammed the stuff down. We startled and were startled by some ground fowl, one of which was a handsome male pheasant. That got us thinking of lunch.

We settled on a smallish mom&pop place in a rural town. The food was simple and plentiful (the corned beef was difficult to contain between slices of rye) and the conversation was nice. Mom was having some computer trouble at home, so I offered to lend a hand. We shared a pot of tea with her husband when we got back (he was playing golf earlier in the day). Mom presented me with a hardbound copy of Peterson's Field Guide as a gift.

Dinner with the Warden at our local haunt was delicious. A couple of cocktails on a school night, a Celtics win (they're playing impressive basketball), and a viewing of the fun Top Fuzz flick capped off a good day.

[/ QUOTE ]

KT,

My kind of day! Sounds thoroughly enjoyable.

Now......Don't wait for your birthday to come again before you repeat it!!

Stay well......

Myrt