View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Astros Fire Manager Garner, GM Purpura

The only reason I can figure the timing for this was they retired Bagwell's #5 jersey yesterday, so, maybe Drayton wanted the guys to be there for it (ie: no distractions). I mean, the season is done with anyway.

Also, you are selling Timmy Poo-Poo short. He didn't trade Hirsh (a cheap young pitcher) for Jennings. He traded Hirsh (cheap young pitcher), Bucholz (cheap young pitcher) and Willy Taveras (cheap young player who "filled" two holes: leadoff and CF) for a fat ass who over-paid, injured, unproven older guy who just so happens to be an alum of the same university as Drayton McLane. Baylor.

Tim Purpura is absolutely ATROCIOUS as a GM, and will never see a GM job or possibly even assistant GM job anytime soon or likely, ever again.

Garner...has been a complete idiot this season, but I'm actually surprised Drayton sent him packing as well. Garner has been way better at him job than Purpura (and Purpuras is far more important), although him being better at him job is like two midgets arguing about who is taller.

I think Garner fruited out this season because he had a heapload of mediocre players and got shuffle-happy with his lineups, defense, and pitching. As Joe Morgan would say "he wasn't consistent." And since we know "consistent" = "good" then there was no way the Astros could be good this year.

Quite a shame, for me, as a fan, because this division (NLC) in this year is basically the easiest way to the playoffs in recent history. I mean, a team should legitimately be able to "buy" their way to the playoffs in this division. Easily.

Cliff Notes: Thank God they are doing something about the inept powers-that-be.