View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Kool-Aid didn’t kill those people.

[ QUOTE ]
Ideology is something we humans need to comprehend better than we now do. Ideology is both salvation and death.

We are all members of many ideologies. Our ideologies are the abstract ideas that we create and invest with value. Our ideologies are what lead us to live a certain way, die for a certain cause, and kill THEM who are not US.

I might be a Democrat, Catholic, American, and capitalist. When we are members of a group we can do things that we would never consider doing alone. As an American my group kills others, as a Democrat I may seek to improve the well being of my side while taking it from the other side, as a Catholic I may hate Jews, as a capitalist I may cheat to get mine. All of these things we might do as a group but perhaps never would have been so self-seeking alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not something we need at all and ideologies are generally detrimental.

Being a capitalist is not an ideology if its because you've considered the issues and decided its best. It becomes an ideology when you follow capitalist dogma even though you no longer consider it best, possibly because you don't consider it at all.

chez