View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: GF invites me to wake, what do I do?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter what the excuse is, men will always look like dogs here if they don't go. It appears selfish and unsympathetic. If you are always afraid of awkward, unexpected family situations when it comes to dating, then you are likely unexperienced. Suck it up if you care. Otherwise don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said we aren't that serious. But I didn't mention she likes me alot more than I like her. I am not inexperienced at dating. How many people go to a wake not knowing a single person? I've never met these people, and I have to get up early to drive two hours to see a wake (i've actually never been to a wake or a funeral before)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how this may be causing some anxiety.

First of all, wakes are typically not stiff and sad like funerals. Wakes are a celebration of life. The last one I went to was when FFK's dad passed last year and it was very nice and healing. People weren't dressed in black and carrying tissues. Friends and acquaintances showed and shared touching/funny/meaningful stories about the deceased. The smile to tear ratio was very moving. IMO, this is the ideal way to embark on the mourning process.