View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Making a stand against a maniac - 77 faces big bet on the river

If you had AQ, would you call this river? 77 is very similar hand to Ahi in this situation.

On the river we only beat Ahi bluffs or something like 22-44, and do you think he calls a 3bet preflop and then calls a flop on a K hi board w/ 22-44 or Ahi?

Since you 3bet preflop and then bet this flop, I really like another bet on the turn. After he calls your flop bet, your hand strength vs his range is pretty crummy, and we basically I think are going to have to turn 77 into a bluff to win this hand. We are never going to extract more value from worse hands w/ 77 here ever, so betting the turn and then checking behind river is viable, as is sometimes 3barrelling river (Although I don't recommend it). The reasons I like another bet on the turn are that unless he has a 5 or a K it's going to be hard for him to continue and he very well could be folding 88-QQ to a turn follow up from us.

I think we stand more to gain in this situation by firing another barrel then we do by checking through and hoping to induce a bluff on the river. Because, so many river cards are going to hit his hand and make it hard to call a river "bluff" and 77 is essentially a very very weak holding in this spot.

Also, if he is the type to float the flop OOP in this spot w/ AHi (which I doubt) why give him a chance to spike a A or a Broadway card on the river?

Again, consdiering the way the hand played up until the turn, I think we need to fire a second barrel here. His range is something liek 88-QQ, KQ-AK, sometimes AQs.

And remember just because he was playing very agressive, doesnt mean he isn't competent or a thinking LAG, and you didn't include anything about your image or if you think he is capable of calling 3bets light or floating flops OOP light. Both of which I suspect he isn't. Even more the reason to double barrel here.

I know that is very jumbled and unorganized, hope it made sense though.