Thread: Leach/Kyl
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Leach/Kyl

See, thats the thing. Gambling is always going to be a challenge for lawmakers because of its roots. I hear the calls to oust republicans because of the bill and it might be true it would not get introduced under a dem majority, but I wouldn't bet on it.

One thing is clear; these two guys have a hard-on for Internet Gambling issues; Kyl in particular. At this point, the dems need to win something like 15 seats to take a majority and its too close to call in the House. Its probably likely the Senate stays in republican hands, though that isn't certain either.

What has happened in the past is a bill gets through one side of congress and bogged down in the other. Having the republicans in control of both, Abramoff getting nabbed and a Senate leader who needs scalps for his base essentially opened a hole in the needle for the camel to pass. Now that it has passed, it could be a whole lot easier for them to jam more nonsense through.

Frankly, these two guys opponents might be bozos. The reason I don't find an issue with that is because our congress is broken anyway. Until there is public financing of campaigns, none of these guys work directly for you or me; they work for whoever gives them the most money.