View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Default I win more when I\'m on tilt

I'm a pretty consistent TAG player with a steady (but pretty slow) winrate. I'm a little too tight and too scared to play drawing hands.

Every once in a while, I just run into one of those days where it's just one bad beat after another. I play tight for a reason, I prefer less variance and a steady consistent winrate.

But like everyone, I get the urge to go on tilt when stuff like this happens... and unlike most players, I'm stupid enough to let myself give into it. I do at least set rules for my stupidity... I go to double my usual stakes, take one buy-in only, and whatever happens happens. Dumb thing to do, but it's worth it to me, it makes me feel better to give into the tilt urges a bit. And if I lose, I just call it a day and never go further.

Well, in the long run I have found that I win over twice as many BB/hour when I'm playing at a level I'm uncomfortable with.

Any ideas why this would happen? I haven't had a bunch of lucky hands when I move up. I'm not aware that I'm playing any differently.

Should I maybe try intentionally playing for more than I'm comfortable with? Seems like maybe that scared/nervous feeling turns me into a half decent player.