View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

I do love how you drop certain answers I give since they defeat you and then bring up brand new stuff -- often based on nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is likely that Greg Anderson can't be prosecuted because his testimony under oath was prior to his guilty plea. The guilty plea likely incorporated all charges and possible charges arising out of this investigation...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I told you that wasn't the case....then what?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Anderson testified before the plea agreement and the agreement is anything like the standard agreement used in federal courts in New York, he could not be charged with perjury for that pre-agreement testimony. My understanding is that he refused to testify since then and that is why he was locked up. They can't lock him up if he testified and lying unless they did charge him with perjury.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on, Bean. You know this. They went after the suppliers and they entered plea agreements. I don't know why they agreed to such light pleas, but it may have been political at the Justice Department level.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a token case to facilitate a perjury trap on Bonds, where in the DA's mind he either would admit steroid use that could be leaked, or run the risk of perjury.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are rarely grand jury leaks. The leak in this case was from a defense attorney and not a prosecutor -- did the prosecutor expect a defense attorney to be the leak? And there are no D.A. here. D.A.s are local prosecutors not federal prosecutors. More importantly, your belief that this was a trap does not fit with the chronology of events. The investigation of BALCO started more than a year before Bonds testified.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There is plenty of proof of Bonds use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of allegations...but it hasn't been proven.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Plenty of PROOF of use. Paper documents and testimony. He tested positive! ALLEGATIONS of perjury. Maybe he didn't know... but that seems unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]

Agent Jeff Novitsky told Agent Ira White in 2001 that he didn't like Bonds, and "sure would like to get him for something", as he had worked out at the same gym, and was jealous of Bonds wealth and success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that is what Iran White (first name Iran, not Ira) told Playboy and what the government has disputed in court hearings.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, this is an IRS investigation, spearheaded by Novitsky, as the DEA showed no interest, at at later intervals was critical of the IRS involvement in a steroid case.

[/ QUOTE ]

The IRS does drug investigations. I know it is shocking, but it is true. They have jurisdiction here just like the DEA. There are many areas of the law where more than one agency has enforcement rights. As I recall from something I read, Novitsky was involved in drug-related investigations during his whole career at the IRS. What were his motivations and was this investigation completely his way of getting Bonds? I really don't know. White says one thing and the government says the opposite.

For those fans of Steven Smith, Charles Barkley, OJ and conspiracy theories, much has also been made of the fact that Iran White is black and Novitsky is white -- but I won't go any further down that path as it could only lead to bad things.