View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Trip report/ask me about time in maximum (and minimum) security prison

[ QUOTE ]
My Turn,
Thanks for the story, it takes a lot of guts to post it here.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks... it happened and I share it every so often....it doesn't bother me that much
[ QUOTE ]

A couple of questions-
Did your lawyer suck? Three years in prison seems a little harsh for possession or are you leaving out part of the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm...my lawyer came highly recommended, rated high, was familiar with the system and these types of cases, and charged enough (over $10k)

the issue here is GHB. I was sort of the first guy caught in Illinois right at the time that it was spreading like wildfire through the state (late 98, early 99). GHB stories were in school newspapers, showing up at raves, showing up at dance clubs. Unfortunately, many a-holes use GHB for much more sinister things than myself. I was simply a drug connoisseur, who used the drug as alcohol advanced. Basically, I could maintain my dean's list level of study, but still go out 4 nights a week in party mode. It was very similar to being drunk, yet I got a good night's sleep and didn't have hangovers the next day. Obviously, many realized it could be used as a 'date rape' drug. The states prosecuting attorney for Peoria County had high hopes of office. He really wanted a conviction against the 'date rape' drug. (BTW, the date rape thing does bother me as I was labeled when this was so far and away from my intent. I find rape quite sickening in all forms as I'm sure most of you do, too.) The way the laws are written, I was guilty of intent to deliver. If I was merely sharing my stash with friends, which I was, I'm a dealer according to the law. The question was whether the jury would convict me. I didn't want to take my chances. Lawyer did get them to go down to only possession.

[ QUOTE ]
Has it affected your employment/school once you got out?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...it's completely screwed me. I simply didn't register for the semesters I was gone and was still in the system to register for classes when I finished my sentence. no big deal with school

work, on the other hand, is a near impossibility. Despite graduating from one of, if not the best, undergraduate and master programs of accounting with high honors, I could not land a single job. The sole reason is my previous felony conviction. I tried many different sectors, but I'm screwed. It's pretty much how I happened to end up being a professional gambler.
[ QUOTE ]

Toss any salad?

[/ QUOTE ]

I repeat...NO!