View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Calling bluffs with weakish hands.

[ QUOTE ]
You have to look for flop textures where you believe your opponent may be over-bluffing and flop textures where you believe he may be under-bluffing . Many players tend to over-bluff on paired boards or when there are three cards to a flush hoping to represent the flush .

There will be times when you may be indifferent to calling or folding if your opponent is bluffing with the right frequency . Over time , you may be able to improve your intuition in knowing when to make a thin value call .

Another point worth mentioning is that some players may make an incorrect value bet when it should realy be included in his bluff range . Players of this type tend to bluff more than is optimal because of their incorrect value bets .

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, jay, that makes sense. What about identifying general situations where someone tends to bluff too much, such as you taking passive lines or whatever.

Also, how do you determine what is too much or too little bluffing? First determine about what would be optimal and then compare to vil's play?

Optimal bluffing frequencies was touched on in replies to another thread of mine, but I may have it wrong.

If you would bet pot with, let's say, 20% of your range in a given situation, your optimal bluffing frequency would be 33% of that (as you're offering your opponent 2-1), or about 6% of the time.

I'm sure I messed that up as I'm new to the game theory world of poker, so any help is appreciated.

Now, once you've determined someone over- or under-bluffs in certain situations, you can then exploit by either always calling or always folding, right?

Good point with the super-thin v-betting.