View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say that a good percentage of Americans could not point out Europe on a map. And I can say with certainty that a sizeable majority of American could not point out, say, Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, or any other of a number of European countries on a map. The insularity of American culture is, in my experience, something that is difficult for Europeans to fully grasp.

[/ QUOTE ] I think a sizeable majority of Europeans could not point out any US state save for maybe Florida, Hawaii and Alaska on a map.

[/ QUOTE ]
US States != Nations

I think a more interesting test would be to compare how many South American nations a fairly large sample size of Europeans and Americans would be able to place on a map. One might think that geographical proximity would give Americans an edge, but I have a feeling the Euros would score better...

[/ QUOTE ]

i think states are pretty decent analogues to european countries for a geographical basis, there is probably the same ration of known:unknown states and countries for the respective parties. maybe a bit higher state side causes there are a lot of states that dont get much press, but places like moldova, bosnia, estonia, etc. would be as hard to place as nebraska, south dakota, and iowa