View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: San Fransisco bans Plastic bags from Grocery stores

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I want to eat rotten dogmeat soup, who are you to stop me?

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I dont want to get into the politics of it ( my goal is really just to express that I think banning plastic bags is a good idea) i will try to answer the question:

1.Because over 50% of your peers do not want rotten dog meat to be served in restaurants just in case they eat it by mistake or in case it contaminates other foods at the restaurant. This is a democracy , its not perfect but its better than most ways.
2. This is more a Canadian view- Because your peers don't want to subsidize your trip to the hospital.
3. If you want rotten dog meat then do it in your own home.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) We like coke, so pepsi should be outlawed. We don't want to accidentally drink pepsi. There are more of us, there's an implication that we could beat you up if it comes down to it, might makes right.

2) we're going to impose a health care system upon you and then use that as a basis for micromanaging all of your activity going forward. Skiing? Might break your leg. Cheeseburgers? Clog your arteries. Loud music? Might damage your hearing. Your fun activities might cost us money, so no fun for you.

3) Restaurants are private property, just like homes. The restaurant owner is on his own property when he makes the soup.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yeah so again you have issues with democracy.If 51% want to ban coke than so be it. I'm not saying its right. I'm saying thats how it is. Are you disagreeing with me?

2.First off I think MY original point here is moot. I should NOT have included it. But your being dense. This debate is better illustrated by being forced to wear seatbelts. Cheezeburgers ..come on I think your smarter than that.
3. Hmm. Now I'm thinking of that poisonous fish they serve in Japan. I think THATS fine so I would be a little bit hypocritical of me to say no to the soup. I'm not sure if its the same. But if 51% of my peers say no than there isn't much I can do.

To summarize...
1) in democracy the majority rules!
2) I think plastic bags can be outlawed in a way that will have insignificant economic effects. ( not saying san fran is accomplishing this)

[/ QUOTE ]

Democracy is not a majority rules system. That is why constitutions outline the scope of the government's power, so that the masses can't vote your kind into a concentration camp.

And yes, people have tried to ban cheeseburgers and other unhealthy foods based on the justification that it costs us money to pay for your personal health choices. Once the government assumes the cost of something for you, your choices will cost your neighbor money and then begins the inexorable march toward removing all your free choice, in the name of "public costs".

natedogg