View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Help me configure my new PC

Not trying to pick on you but non-overclocked Core2 gets the highest value from 533MHz RAM, marginally lower performance from 667MHz and a marginal increase for 800MHz. So if you can't get 533MHz, 800MHz isn't worth the extra cost.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...mp;articID=472

OP, all those defaults are probably fine (we have similar usage).

Forget about RAID. And for consumer PCs Raptors are hugely overrated IMO considering how much storage you trade away for a questionable performance increase.

Nvidia cards are x3xx for low end, x6xx for midrange and x8xx for higher-end. GS is generally inferior to GT. If you could get a 7600/7800GT instead of the default I'd take that otherwise the $100 upgrade might be worth considering (check tomshardware.com for video comparisons and maybe the default is fine for you).

I don't use windows except for pokering and IMO vista is xp+paint job+trouble; if xp is an option I'd take it.

My brother got me to try a wireless kb/mouse combo and you couldn't pay me to go back to corded. Logitech LX710 is a nice set.

You didn't write anything that makes me think you need UPS.

I don't know what a bluetooth media hub is but if you don't need it, why buy it? Get it from newegg.com or something if/when the need arises.

Unless the security stuff is free I'd use something like avg.