Thread: Small 4-Bets
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Small 4-Bets

[ QUOTE ]

What still puzzles me though is how raising from 48 -> 100/120 could ever be the correct play. You're basically BEGGING to get called.

[/ QUOTE ]
wait, what? what hands are you calling with and how are you playing them postflop? 56s 88? you haven't got implied odds. You don't know whether your opponent has AA or 44 or QJ. What are you doing with 88 on QJ6 flop if your opponent pushes, same with 56?

[ QUOTE ]

Using the argument "I 4-bet small to allow myself to correctly fold to a push" is stupid with a big range of hands. If you're not raising enough to generate proper FE with your bluffs, you shouldn't be 4-betting/folding to a 5-bet with those hands in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason you leave yourself room to fold to a push, is not only so you can fold to a push it's also that your opponents know you can fold to a push. Therefore your opponents might push with crappy hands for fold equity, which may be a big mistake against your range. Therefore you give your opponent a chance to make a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]

I mean...I could be wrong, but you have to think about it this way: Top players have been making a solid 6-8 PTBB/100 (live pros even more) for a long time at MSNL without employing this "new strategy." It's hard to believe that CTS, et al came along and reinvented the wheel this year because all the past NL pros were too stupid to use this monster technique over the last 30 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only recently that light 3 betting has come into such wide use that a counter for it is useful.