View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Hiking Trip Report: Enchantment Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness)

[ QUOTE ]
I've always gone somewhat lightweight (not ultra light) and started to get some ultra light stuff. I really didn't like the backpack I got and quit the ultra light kick after I returned it. Thinking about it now the back pack should really be the last ultra light thing that one buys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%. Most backpacks weigh 5-8lb, sometimes more. Mine weighs ~16oz. You can't be casual when you're planning to go lightweight, but all that really amounts to saying is that you can't be stupid. You have to have some degree of foresight whenever planning a lightweight trip, but it really doesn't take all that much work, and you really should approach it holistically. Don't gradually lighten your load by switching a 4lb sleeping bag to a 3lb one and then to a 2.5lb one; sit down, and basing your weight off of other established gearlists, figure out what you really need for a trip.

Here's my gearlist, more or less, for the last hike:

Golite Pack - 16oz (guesstimate; I think mfr's reported weight on these was either 16 or 18oz but can't find it anymore)
Marmot Helium EQ 15degree bag - 39oz

Clothes:
2pr Thorlo socks - ? oz; wore one, packed other
1 Mountain Hardwear collared hiking T; 1 long-sleeve silkweight capilene undershirt; 1 generic synthetic coolmax T-shirt; 1 Mountain Hardwear "Monkey Man" fleece
Bandanna
1pr gloves (lightweight w/windstopper)
1 skullcap
1pr spandex running/hiking shorts; 2pr REI MTS midweight boxer-briefs
1pr nylon shorts, 1pr REI Sahara convertible short/pants

Shelter/Shared Gear:
http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html - Tarptent Rainshadow - total weight 42oz (shared gear)
Water Filter (Pur Hiker) - 12oz
2 Titanium pots (1 MSR Ti Kettle @ ~3oz and 1 MSR pot @ ~4oz, I think), 2 titanium sporks for utensils
Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Z-rest @ 10oz

Extra gear (most people wouldn't need to bring):
Diabetic gear / medical gear
Photography equipment - 2 lenses (approx 3lb total), camera body @2lb, tripod+ballhead @ 1lb - 6lb extra weight (but well worth it)

That's all off the top of my head but my backpack, which is frameless, was still incredibly comfortable for the entire trip, and that's with me bringing about 8lb more equipment than you'd actually "need" for a standard hike (as most people would bring a standard P&S digital camera and not need to bring tons of medical equipment into the backcountry).

Part of me wants to say that lightweight backpacking (what used to be ultralight, but is now just "lightweight" with a base weight of 8-10lb before food+water) isn't for everyone, but I've yet to find someone who has actually given it a fair shake and not been converted. It just makes the act of hiking so much more pleasurable, not being burdened down with tons of gear. It also allows for, on shorter trips, you to pick and choose your luxuries much better -- affording me, on this trip, the ability to bring along a ton of photo equipment, for example (the difference between my old, standard backpack at 7.5lb and this backpack at ~1lb was enough to account for all of the photo equipment alone).

Meh. Rant more off.

Rob