Thread: River Decision?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: River Decision?

I've been thinking about this hand all evening. I think part of why I'm having trouble with it is because it is 6max, which I never play and which I never read about.

The preflop raise/cap followed by flop check is a strange line. In full ring, it almost always means he caught a huge piece of the flop. I do know that 6max features more preflop raising, and I imagine that preflop aggressors therefore relinquish the initiative more often than they do in full ring. What I don't know is what 6maxers would do with a hand like TT here.

The very small read you have on him would seem to suggest that if he whiffed this flop, he'd be a little more likely to bet it. But the sample size is one hand, and even that is a fairly different situation. So I think we can basically ignore the read.

I keep going back and forth on the flop bet. It's hard to argue you with it because it got you to the river for one SB, which is clearly worth the investment in a pot this size. On the other hand, how often can you expect that to happen?

Betting this flop if he has a monster like KK or QQ is one of those mistakes that compounds itself, because if he does checkraise you on the flop, the pot is big enough that you have to call the check raise, and often the turn bet, too.

I have some thoughts about the turn and river, but before I proceed, I'm interested if some of the posters with more 6max experience can chime in on what is typical for villain's range here and what he might do with those hands on the flop.

-McGee