View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: PNL Study Group Day 4: Commitment

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One place where I am specifically having trouble with commitment issues is with AK. Often I am three betting this in position and finding that ugly flops make me have to reevaluate my committment.

Typical examples
AcKs on Button at NL50
Co bets 4BB
Hero raises to 12BB blinds fold CO calls
Pot ~25BB
Co checks
Hero Cbets ~12-18BB, Villain calls or raises?

We have passed the commitment threshold by putting 25-20BB into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're c-betting on a rag board just to pick up the pot, you're bluffing. it's totally fine to cross the commitment threshold if you're bluffing. remember all the exceptions we list and give examples for.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to mention this a little earlier, but I think some are getting too caught up in the "1/3 of your stack in the pot means you have to commit" point. Yes, that's true for the most part, but there are a slew of exceptions in the book. If you have a hand, yeah, you're going to want to think about whether or not you're committed when 1/3 goes in. But if you don't have a hand, you can put 1/3 in because you're not committed and will fold easily if you find resistance. That's pretty much how a huge percentage of your c-bets will go.

There are other exceptions, but putting in over 1/3 on a bluff is the most common since it happens on a huge percentage of hands. Constantly folding hands you don't want to get all in with because you're afraid of getting 1/3 of your stack in there is weak-tight and definitely not what the book is advocating.