View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: 200NL live 1/2 -- AK overcards + gutshot on flop, help beginner

Thanks guys,

This confirms my experience, I guess, during the hand.

I think I've learned not to consider cards as outs if they are going to put my in a tricky place when they actually hit, or if I'm not sure how I'm going to play them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I also found that my 'gut' feeling about what she had and what she was trying to do was, as some of you suspected, wrong. She was tending toward better the river, but not because she had a great hand, but rather because she thought I seemed unsure of where I was and she thought she might get me out of the hand with the right raise. Fair enough. (I have very good hearing, and even though she was across the table I heard her say something to this effect that she should have tried to push me off.)

I checked, she showed QK (both black, I think both clubs, but they were too far away for me to see), for a pair of queens.

I showed my AK first, and she was nice enough to turn up her hand as well, rather than just mucking it. So I picked up an OK pot despite myself.

I think I have a tendency to assume people have the nuts, or very strong hands, when they may not. I'm trying to figure out a better balance of caution/risk.

This hand earned me a bemused snort from the guy to my right, which was OK, because he was a nice guy, and I was frankly a bit confused by my own play here.

Thanks again for the comments.