View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 Turn

1) What do you make of the villain's check? What are you asking yourself / thinking about in order to make the best decision?

He tried to take the pot away on the flop and it failed. He's seen we haven't backed down, and the turn card doesn't appear to have helped him, so he's slowing down. We are still ahead, although Villian may still have outs. He might be hoping we'll check and give him the free card

2) Any thoughts on a range of hands?

Well, I think his range is still likely about the same as before. He either hit a piece of this flop with low or middle type cards, perhaps suited one-gappers or connectors. But we did'n't go away on the flop, so now he isn't sure his top pair is any good, etc. Or, he missed his draw and doesn't want to get the pot any bigger and is hoping for the river card to save him

3) Do you check or bet? If you're betting, how much and what's your plan if he check-raises again? Do you have a plan for the river and if so, what is it?

I bet, I'm not giving him any free cards. His flop min check-raise failed to push us out and he's checking to us on the turn card which doesn't appear to have improved his hand. People who try to check-raise twice in a row tend to be inexperienced players, so if he does this again (since a good player would likely bet for value or be worried about us drawing out if he's got the straight and there's a flush draw possible). I'm betting between 500 to the pot total, try to take it down now. I believe we're still ahead, but Villian may have outs on the river. If he check-raises again, I'm likely pushing all-in, cause that move on his part would just annoy the hell out of me. :P

If we believe that Villian is drawing extremely thin, we might check and hope to induce a bluff on his part on the river. But, given the multitude of potential holdings, I still prefer to take this down, instead of risk a scare card allowing Villian to bluff us out on the river.