View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

Options are the bane of every screen writer I ever met. It seems like they all have one script optioned for four years. I used to congratulate them, I know better now.

They are picketing all over Hollywood right now. Just passed up some studios. Funny to see a truck pass through. How can they get any respect from a dude who is schlepping boxes all day?

Many TV scripts are done freelance. A freelancer writes a script on spec and the studios either takes it and have their team rewrite it or they reject it. Many shows, especially ones like SNL pay attention to current events. It helps with their spotenaity.

As unionized as the studios are, a camera operator can't even push a broom without permission from the Teamster's, etc, I doubt that the actors are going to be writing any new scripts either if they are in WGA.

The WGA is not a real union by the way. It is sort of like AFTRA (pay the 1k or whatever it is). The qualifications to join WGA is to write a script, have them library it, and pay the fee. The issue is that you would be a total retard to write your name in Hollywood without registering it first (many actors had to change their names because their name was not available through SAG). Everyone that has wrote any script at all in Hollywood is registered with WGA, so no one can work, and it would be automatic disqualification from the union and the end of your career, real or imagined, if you scabbed.