View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Costa Rica trip report and my first sailfish

[ QUOTE ]
How'd you not know Costa Rica was gonna be expensive where you stayed? Its main industry is tourism. Beautiful country.

Nice fish, man. I wish my charter boat experiences were as good. Got skunked on a four hour trip in Alaska trolling for king salmon and landed a 75lb marlin in Mexico, but needed a little help from the mates and the fish hooked its own damn self. I feel real weird about catching something when I don't set the hook or even bait it. Much prefer streams or lakes or creeks.

Cool report. You look like Ace from some old Real World.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean. Although certain live baits seem to take some skill, and I feel like I would be slowing things down if I didn't let the mates do it. I remember using live eel, and they would whack it's head to make it not ball up and then have it on the hook in no time. Also used virginia spot once where they hooked it through the jaw. I could do it, but not as fast as those guys. I have always set the hooks myself though which is one of the most fun parts of fishing (besides landing a monster after a big fight). That said, I have never gone after marlin, or any other fish that you troll for. I definately want to though.