Thread: TLDR Beer Club
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: TLDR Beer Club

Last week I was back in Madison, Wisconsin and decided to pick up some beer that I can't get around here (Austin, TX). I had limited suitcase space, so here's what I chose.

From left to right:
New Glarus Belgian Red At $9/bottle this is probably overpriced, but it's a big crowd pleaser. With over a pound of Door County cherries and Wisconsin farmed wheat this is a good choice for a piece of Wisconsin to bring home.
New Glarus Spotted Cow This farmhouse ale is a huge Wisconsin favorite that I couldn't resist bringing home with me.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale I'm thinking I could find this in Austin, but I don't recall seeing it off hand, so I picked one up as it's one of my favorite IPAs (Along with Racer 5 and Maharaja)
Lake Louie Tommy's Porter Lake Louie is not an actual lake, but a pond at the Arena, WI brewery. I have loved everything that I've tried from these guys and this traditional Porter is no exception.
Bell's Oberon Ale With Summer fleeting I decided to snag another of Bell's great beers.
Capital Brewery Wisconsin Amber Another local favorite and the number one seller from an excellent brewery. Read Why they still claim the title of America's #1 Brewery
Ale Asylum Hopalicious I have high expectations for this American Pale Ale. The word on the street is that this is a new brewery created by brewer's from Madison's own Angelic Brew Pub. After hearing this new brewery mentioned a couple times I decided it's time I try some.
Lake Louie Coon Rock Cream Ale I don't recall trying this particular brew, so hopefully it lives up to the Lake Louie name. An interesting antic from the brewery- Lake Louie (it's a pond remember) hosts hockey games held by the brewers and friends. After every goal the game stops for a drink. Scores are reported to be in the 30's and above.
Capital Brewery Autumnal Fire I can't remeber anything about this seasonal other than people like it. I hope it's a winner because I got two of them.
Avery Maharaja Imperial India Pale Ale Widely available, but it's been out of season for a couple months now. I found a couple bottles tucked away in the bottom shelf of the fridges collecting mold. So I bought one for my host and one to bring back. At $7/bottle it must not be a popular choice on the UW campus.

So what'd I miss out on? I'm pretty happy with my selection. Chime in on what you do or don't like about these beers/breweries.