Thread: College v. Pro
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: College v. Pro

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the difference is bigger here. Think of it in terms of a recent example even us youngin's can understand. The recent Lions teams. They've had, among others: Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Charles Rogers...Joey Harrington...some dominant college OL (A. Gibson, J. Backus, Raola)...some of these guys absolutely crushed anyone they faced in college. They've mostly been ordinary to bad for the Lions. Not even looking at the Lions as a whole, but even their individual stats have been weak. These were sick college players all on one team and are very pedestrian in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that illustrates the importance of coaching and team chemistry. Superior talent doesn't always prevail if those ingredients are missing. That is why I think a great college team might have a shot to beat, or at least could play close a terrible NFL team. With superior coaching, team chemistry, and motivation, an upset could be possible.

If you take a look at the starting offenses of the 2005 Houston Texans and the USC Trojans, I think it is a difficult case to make that Houston was significantly more talented. They had more experience, but the overall talent levels were similar, in my opinion.