View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Range, Equity, Maximize

Hello SSMTT,

So I've been off from poker for a bit (a little over a week) while I was getting married. But before I stopped, I started playing cash games. I also read Professional No Limit Hold'em.

In one of the most important parts of that book, the authors discuss the REM process. REM stands for Range, Equity, Maximize.

It is a process for making EVERY poker decision. Anyhow, I've seen quite a few posts lately that really really really could benefit from understanding Range, Equity, Maximize. Basically, that means doing the math. Here is the process (for the real details on it you'll have to read the book):

1) Put your opponents on hand ranges. Go to Pokerstove.com and download Pokerstove.

2) Determine your equity against the hand range(s).

3) Maximize your expectation. Sometimes that means folding, sometimes that means calling, sometimes it means shoving. But the only way to figure it out is to do the math.

Now I'll be the first to admit that there are some poker problems where math doesn't apply or where the math is too difficult and inaccurate to be worth doing (well the math isn't inaccurate, but the estimates that make up the math are). But those problems are few are far between.

Anyhow, what I am saying is this. 1) Ask yourself if your post is a Math problem. If it is, do some math. If after doing some math you are still befuddled, post it here. 2) Understand REM. Seriously, understanding REM will make you so much money.

Sherman

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to offend any of the other posts or posters I replied to today, I think they are quite good posts that led to interesting discussions. I just feel that the discussions should be more focused on math rather than educated guesswork.