View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Re: A Question for Limit Hold\'em Players

[ QUOTE ]
A limit hold 'em player could skip TOP entirely and it wouldn't hamper your development at all. That book is not as necessary to your development as a lot of people seem to think. As for Middle Limit Hold 'em, I can't believe that a lot of people still think this book has any merit. If you played like they recommend you would go broke quickly- way too weak tight and passive, you'd just get run all over in the aggressive internet games.

For what it's worth my LHE required reading list would be much smaller than some of the others here. I would go in no particular order:

* SSHE- The best limit book ever written. Forget people that say stupid stuff like "But there are no games where I see 6 players to a flop so the book must be useless now" If you understand the concepts you will be able to adapt to any game.

* Internet Texas hold em- You could read this in addition to SSHE. I guess you could actually read it instead of SSHE but given the choice, SSHE is slightly better.

* Limit hold 'em Winning shorthanded strategies- The best shorthanded material available bar none.

* HGIYLH- Just to "test" yourself on how well you understand important limit ideas.

I guess if you are playing in super tough short games then Stox's book would be worth a read, it is also very good.

That's about it, concentrate on those books alone, you don't need any others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the above list is very good if you want to keep the book list short.
However, I really believe there are two books that need to be included:
1) Roy Cooke's book: Play of Hands II should be included in any serious limit hold'em study.
There really is no other book like it where you can actually go into the mind of top mid limit player.

Of course, you can just go to Cardplayer and download all of his articles from there as well.

2) Hold'em for Advance Players by Mason and David.
This one is a perennial classic and still contains very pertinent advice