View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on my diet/work out routine blue print

[ QUOTE ]
10:30am: Breakfast. I’ve traditionally gone for a healthy cereal but the more I read the more it seems most cereals are to carb and calorie high. Should I just make the switch to oatmeal (which I’ve never particularly cared for but I’m sure could tolerate) or do you guys have some good suggestions for a very healthy breakfast cereal? Also with breakfast a glass or two of water, and a piece of fruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oatmeal, although great for you is carbs just like cereal. Think of it like this every meal should have some carbs/proteins/fats. Something you might want to try is to sprinkle a scoop of your protein on your oatmeal. Some do cottage cheese, but personally I can;t stomach it.

[ QUOTE ]

2:30pm: Small protein shake and piece of fruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not horrible but if your looking for a small snack, maybe look into some almonds, cottage cheese or along those lines. Personally I try to avoid liquid snacks, especially since its been 4 hours.

[ QUOTE ]
4:30pm: Lunch. A salad containing lettuce, cucumber, onion, and carrot topped with some olive oil and vinegar. A small piece of lean meat such as chicken or beef, in the case of beef a healthier cut. To drink, skim milk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your worried about limiting calories than try to go less on the dressings. Don't forget about the importance of protein, I would make it atleast a serving size.

[ QUOTE ]
Work out about 7 or 8pm (depending on when poker gets done that day. As an MTT player, it’s hard to be exactly sure.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Now place in your shake as your PWO instead of your midmorning snack.

[ QUOTE ]
Post work out dinner: I don’t want to necessarily have the exact same dinner every day. Some things I like to have is some steamed rice with a chicken or pork stir fry that contains peppers, carrots, onion, and zucchini. It has some teriyaki and soy sauce and tastes great. Are the sauces going to be a big problem? I also like to have some steamed rice with a lean meat in a bulgogki sauce. Also, I’ll sometimes stir fry some prawns with a light sauce and put them on rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make great choices with a variety which is key to staying on a diet. But as you pointed out the sauces are going to hurt you. Try to limit them, slowly ween them out of your cooking, I've been using a sprinlke of spices to substitue some sauces.

[ QUOTE ]
11:30pm: Small protein shake and fruit again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to have a shake before bed, mix it with milk to slow down the absorbtion rate.

[ QUOTE ]
For work out routine my largest question is whether I should do my normal muscle concentrated routines (Monday: Back, Tuesday: Legs, Wednesday: Biceps/shoulders, Thursday: Pecs, Triceps) or switch over to a 3-4 times a week full body work out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a little bias to a total body split, but I am a frim believer that it is better for someone trying to maintain or cut. You standard split is more aimed for a bodybuilder than someone trying to get into better shape.

[ QUOTE ]
For HIIT I’m thinking of doing about 10-20 minutes on the punching bags in my gym. Should I also consider adding some traditional cardio or should the HIIT be satisfactory?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to open a can of worms on this one but you said your looking to increase endurance and cardio fitness, I would pass on the HIIT. Personally I would rather do a long extended cardio session on a tradmill for this goal. A heavy bag is an excellent form of cardio but I find it will get you HR up and burn calories but not ideal for the goals you listed.

[ QUOTE ]
I also like to play tennis a couple times a week on top of this. On those days if I have a HIIT or weight training scheduled should I consider taking off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you feel. I would still paly if I weight trained, if I was able, judge it as to how you feel. However I wouldn;t do HIIT if I was playing tennis that day. It's great that you will do different forms of cardio.