View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: ***World Champion Red Sox Offseason Thread***

Mike Timlin is still a good relief pitcher, and should he wish to continue pitching, we should give him his one year, three million dollar contract or whatever he wants. Tim Wakefield is a good deal and should certainly be picked up. Julian Tavarez has a below market option that should be picked up, but I certainly won't mind if we just flip him somewhere.

Johan Santana is entering his age 29 season and is a tremendous talent. Our biggest movable assets are Ellsbury and Buchholz. The Twins would also certainly be interested in Crisp or Lester. Bowden and Masterson might help close a deal. I don't think Theo will trade Ellsbury or Buchholz, but if we can get Santana for Lester/Crisp/Masterson, I definitely think we should make that move.

Josh Beckett, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz are a tremendous young core for our starting rotation, rounded out by Schilling and Wakefield for one more year looks like tremendous depth.

Delcarmen, Okajima and Papelbon are a good young backend to the bullpen, but I'm not too enthralled with Delcarmen. I would not be opposed to moving him. I like Tavarez plenty to have him in here, but I'd prefer we didn't hold on to Javier Lopez. A proven power RHP would solidify this bullpen, but it looks to be a strength whether or not they get him.

Varitek is ancient and in the last year of his deal, we need to find a good young catcher to hopefully replace him in 2009. Lowell would be a fine signing, but A-Rod would be better obviously. If they still like Youkilis at third, they can try to find a solution at first base instead. I think moving Manny is probably a good idea considering how bad his defense and baserunning are at this point, but probably only happens if we can sign A-Rod or Santana. I'm fine with Drew/Crisp/Ellsbury taking 2 of 3 OF spots, but I'd like a little more power from the third guy.