Thread: Variance
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Variance

Dean,

I think it's likely that your source of this information is having these swings for a number of reasons. These are all just from my experience in poker and these games specifically.

1. He's playing a lot of hands in a very tough game.
2. He's probably not exercising the best game selection.
3. It's possible that he's chasing losses and even staying in bad games to chase them, thus dramatically increasing his variance.
4. Obviously he's playing tons of shorthanded. I don't know if that's what you play, but it does play a big role. Is he playing HU?

I don't know really. Maybe I've run well, but I've never had the kind of variance I hear about people on here having. Then again I probably don't win quite as much as the big winners in that 2/4. I don't play as much either. It's partly because I'm lazy, but the main reason is that I refuse to play in a bad game in the Stars 2/4. On occasion I've found myself chasing losses in bad games and surprise surprise, those are the nights where I lose 20-25k 1 or 2 tabling.

Just some thoughts. Don't worry yourself so much. Just practice good game selection, get to know your players, and don't play when you're feeling like you're just playing to get the money back.