View Single Post
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Plug small leaks and get better at poker (very tl;dr worthy)

[ QUOTE ]
hey oz, great post.

I must admit that when i read it yesterday i skipped straight to your graph because i'm totally results orientated [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

having re read it today i can relate to a lot of your poker experiences; kids (well 1 kid) and work taking priority over poker, trying to cram hands in between demanding priorities, playing while tired, tilting etc.

i'm curious to your "drawing a line in the sand" analogy.
i have played 20k hands now and am down some 100BB so far.
now this in itself is not a problem as i too consider this a "poker educational expense" but i realise that i don’t play well enough. And i, like you before, chase losses and tilt when playing patient and disciplined poker only to be sucked out on time and time again by fish that chase cards to the bitter end and then hit them.

Anyway enough about me, I’m replying to your post with a question: how exactly did you "draw a line in the sand"? What did you do to "start afresh"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "line in the sand" is entirely mental. I havent deleted my data prior to that but I use that as a defining date when checking data in PT. I got sick of thinking "man, my winrate is crap" so the results oriented guy in me asks himself what his winrate is I just use that as my start date in pokertracker. I also use that same date when checking my stats etc.

Remy, I should point out that the downturn after getting SSHE also came when i first moved up to 0.5/1. I probably was due for a [censored] run and due to be crushed anyway...in $ value it wasnt as bad as it could be because i was whoring all the sweet signup bonuses (party etc) so my BR was actually going up despite my losses. hurrah for bonus whoring101