View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: 8k Post - Microlimit bankroll: The misunderstood game of poker (tl

:grunch:

Nice post.

FWIW, I've always been in the same bankroll philosophy boat. My bankroll pretty much just sits online and does nothing except let me play poker when I want.

However, the reasoning is differnet for me. Being Australian (and this goes for other aussies i think), is that it's alot harder for us to cash out. (imo) the most reliably methods are through either party or stars and since I'm not always playing on those sites, it's a pain to transfer money via neteller, onto the site, play the required number of hands to cash out, then cash out. So as a result, over the couple of years i've played, i've only made a few cashouts and these were big (in proportion to my limits) to cover one off expenses, as you mentioned.

To answer some of the questions you asked:

I've played for about 3yrs total, I started playing semi-casual -> semi-serious about 2 yrs ago.

I first deposited $50 on stars. I donked around for a year or so, playing a few weeks at a time here and there. I made 2 more $50 deposits after going busto a couple of times.

When I started my "semi-casual -> semi-serious" phase, I had $10 in an account on crypto and somehow mannaged to run good enough with that playing 0.25/0.50 FR to clear a $100 bonus I had pending. That set me up to play the micros and I havn't gone busto since - not quite.

[ QUOTE ]

What are your struggles with your bankroll? How have you dealt with bad variance? Have you ever been close to busto? What did you do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask this, because that is where I am at right now... I'm just coming back after more than a month off.

A few months ago, I cashed 4k, which was about half my roll. I of course instantly went on a massive downswing. I kept moving down and kept losing until I got to about $600, so I decided to take a break. I'm back now playing 0.50/1.00 to rebuild.