Thread: HOH "outdated"
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: HOH \"outdated\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it would be pretty easy to explain to someone confused about it that (I think..I'm not a botanist) hardwood versus softwood is an issue of rigidity, not of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. In any way an average person could measure, balsa, a hardwood, is softer, weaker and less rigid than pine, a softwood.

[/ QUOTE ]

A note on the side conversation that has developed here:

It seems even experts in the field would say that balsa is softer than most softwoods (and just about every hardwood). What makes it a hardwood is the type of tree it comes from, not its mechanical properties. It is known to be a very soft member of the hardwood family, at least according to Wikipedia.

From an engineer's perspective (I have a mechanical engineering background), hardness is a different property than strength and rigidity (typically referred to as elastic modulus or stiffness). The three are different and are measured differently. Anyone who has made a dent in a piece of balsa with just their fingernail (most closely aligned with a hardness test) knows that it is soft. This doesn't tell you much about it's tensile or compressive strength or its stiffness.