View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Ask me about : coming out

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was pretty much a single parent child.

RAF, I would probably do both each time

[/ QUOTE ]

There you go....I was 100% certain the answer would be something like that (i.e. father not around, father abusive, father withholding love). It is almost certainly the case in virtually every circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]

for what it's worth, i know several gay people who have good relationships with their fathers.

My best-friend-growing-up's younger brother, I've known that this kid is gay since he was 3 years old. I used to hang out at their house all the time when I was a kid and I've probably spent a cumulative year in that house so I feel like I know their family pretty well. The dad is very nice, smart, attentive, doesn't get mad very easily, not abusive or absent at all. My friend is a very well-adjusted normal straight guy. And his brother is gayer than Little Richard's underpants. It's been patently obvious to any observer, even when he was a small child, that he's gay. He came out to his parents about a year ago (I think he's around 16 now) and they were basically like "ldo."

It's not like this disproves your theory or anything, Passaman. Just offering a counterexample.

Also, if your theory is that people are gay because they were abused/ not loved enough as a child, how does this justify hating on gay people/ saying that homosexuality is a sin. Whether it's something that's genetically predetermined or something that's developed as a result of childhood abuse, it's still something that's not the person's fault and not the person's choice.