View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Why is Nation a mod in this forum?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Nation says he coaches. He is using his modship on 2+2 as a draw. Maybe its all bull and he doesn't coach anyone, in which case he should take the sign down.

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont have to be good at poker to be a mod, thats not a prerequisite. In fact we have quite a few mods who ether are horrible at the game or barley play at all. Being a mod won't get him coaching clients, anyone who goes to a mod for coaching just because they are a mod is insane... Coaching should be done by a player you trust, someone you want to emulate.

It sounds like you don't know what a moderator does. If you have an easy to moderate forum the moderator should be nearly invisible. Moderators dont have to post in the forum they moderate (although that seems to help forums like OOT and BBV a lot, its not as much a concern for strategy forums), they are not cheerleaders - they are enforcers. Mods do things like stop spam, move problem posts, answer questions about the forum management; that is their main job. Their secondary job is to create participation/tools (like a FAQ). So 95% of a mods role will probably never be seen by the end users unless they choose to post in the forum to make a statement so that other users learn from the example what is and is not allowed, with the exception of the off-topic forums. Then there is the other side of the coin, when one mod(s) is so vocal that the other mod is hardly noticed by the end users. Thats a good example of what happens in B&M, the forum I moderate with RR. I usually get the "hate mail" from users who assume RR's decisions were done by me because I post more frequently than he did. Little do they know RR is actually quite active in the background and he is know to make tougher decisions than I do! It often makes me chuckle... internet forums are serious business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thanks, but I'm actually aware of what a mod should be doing. He's not even doing that. FR appointed a new mod recently for exactly this reason.

Re the coaching, I think that's really a question for him to answer, don't you?