View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Power out, no one answers apartment 24-hour line, WTF

After coming home from work today and getting home around 8 PM PST, I walk into my apartment and notice all the power's off. It's just my apartment, though; everyone else seems to be up and running, as are all the lights in the building. At 8:15, I place a call to Seattle City Light, who told me that they couldn't do anything after all the basic diagnostic crap (cycle the breakers, mainly) because the main breaker was likely in a locked closet that only management has the key for. After speaking to them, I called the emergency 24-hour line for the apartment and it went to a cell phone's voicemail, WTF? I left a message, waited 10 minutes, and called back. Sure enough, it's the voicemail again.

Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem, but I left work fairly early tonight to get home and work on a significant project for a side consulting job, a large portion of which that required talking the client through a few things via IM and phone. Since all of the requisite files were at home, I was unable to complete the tasks necessary.

I left messages with the 24-hour line every 30 minutes or so, and called a few times without leaving one just to check. It's now 1:45 AM and I'm back at my office where I plan on sleeping.

My question for OOT is this: How much can I milk the apartment complex for? I clearly left work early with the intention of doing consulting work for a client, which was semi-high value and is going to be a huge bitch to reschedule. We have a work history together, so I can produce receipts that show we do business together at not-insigificant dollar amounts. Should I check to make sure that it was indeed the apartment complex / manager's fault, then present them with a bill for 6 hours of my time plus punitive considerations (e.g. pain/suffering)? I kept a very detailed log of all of tonight's events (I saw that it was helpful on a TV show) and can very easily prove what my hourly rate is with documented receipts.

What should I expect to receive in compensation here?

EDIT: I know the title is not very descriptive. Sorry.