View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

[ QUOTE ]
Okay a few questions. How popular is soccer there? Aren't they really bad, how would I go about playing professional soccer in China?

I want to live in China at some point in the future (so far I went there for 2 weeks on a kung fu trip with my school from MA, and also studied intensive Chinese at college for 1 year). What advice do you have on this? I guess my plan right now is to go to Beijing, find a langauge school and hang out there for a few weeks, then do the same in Shanghai, and then take it from there.

Why is it that Chinese people are so cool? I hate making sweeping statemnets about a people or place that are illogical, but I really have to say I like Chinese people the most. They seem straight forward and down to earth to me. I think it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of Chinese have lived in poverty and went through hard times with Mao and stuff. It's my not well thought out theory that people that have suffered come out as people I like. As opposed to spoiled brats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soccer is extremely popular, however the national league is largely funded and backed by various State-owned corporations. The only team that is probably profitable is Dalian Shide. I've no idea how you might become a pro there, given that there is basically just the one professional league with no feeder province-based competitions.

I think you should do whatever that makes you happy. Chinese girls are sweet, cute and just so slender. I personally had a blast flirting with everyone. I've no idea of what a language school is like.

I dunno, but I do think cool Chinese people like me tend to be extremely cool whereas most Chinese aren't really all that cool. Like I'm smart without being pretentious, I wish the best for my friends without being emotional mushy, I have individual opinions and tastes, etc. It reflects very well on you that you attract cool guys as your friends. FWIW I find the same for Jewish guys, and have been called an honorary Jew a few times, hence this nick. I'm not sure why, but I guess there is rarely the feeling from Chinese that the world owes them a favour.