View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

[ QUOTE ]
China seems to have a smeared image. I imagine a lot of it is exaggerated. But the problems stem from the shear size and number of people.

Is it possible to fix the country's problems without exerting extremity?

How do you think the government is doing right now? Do you believe that the people will eventually find their own freedoms without intervention?

I am led to understand that economically, the problem stems from a mix of communism and capitalism. Do you believe that Communism is going away?

What do you mean, exactly, when you say that Mao had good intentions?

That's all for now, but I have plenty more questions.

Olympics 2008: Are you going?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of your questions stem from labeling things as this or that. There are tons of things wrong with the infrastructure basis in China, mainly the effect of development on the environment. Communist these days basically means "not democratic", there is no Communism in China being practiced either by the State or by the people.

I meant that Mao intended to launch a great Communist nation, driven by Marxist ideologies. That this is impossible and barbaric in a huge mountainous nation of 1 billion people didn't phase him.

Olympics - no, I'll watch tidbits of it from the comfort of wherever I'll be. I hate huge events, other than the Sawker World Cup which is cool.