View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

hampster I don't think it's just luck because its a lot of people. For instance one time I was getting a hand job in a Chinese massage parlour in Vegas and I spoke a little chinese to her. We had a conversation, and she said that she didn't used to get along with her family that well in China, but now that she sends them money from the US they like her more. She wasn't complaining and didn't appear bitter at all, just saying it like it was. I think it makes sense too since China has Buddhism, Taoism, and a lot of poverty and suffering.

Also I think the above paragraph is a more interesting topic of conversation but, I disagree that language schools are not helpful. I've done a few now, I think that are great ways to learn the language, meet other foreigners and also to meet locals (the teacher). You can ask the teacher anything you want about the history of a place, the culture, about the teacher themself, it's a good way to integrate (as opposed to just walking around aimlessly all day looking at famous sites).