View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Massive self destructive tendencies. Need advice

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no psychologist, so I apologize if I'm way off here.

It sounds to me like you have some sort of need to be in control of situations, and when things happen that you can't control you respond with rage against the physical things you can actually bend to your will.

Did you have super strict or overbearing parents or experience bullying when you were younger? Anything like that which could cause you to feel so powerless and have such a need to vent your frustrations physically and tangibly against your physical environment?

I don't know what to tell you honestly, except to say that your behavior is definitely not normal. Lots of people feel the rage and anger you are talking about - that's part of life and certainly part of poker for some - but being unable to control such destructive impulses strikes me as indicative of a serious emotional problem. Talking to a professional really could help you work out whatever is causing it and learn to deal w/ frustration better.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally I hate this type of analysis, but here, good job. I am similar, except instead of being influenced by childhood factors, I am influenced by my last 4 years of college of everyone always having to be right on every damn point all the time. Except I don't get upset when I'm sucked out on really, I get upset when I feel like I made the wrong play and get sucked out on, even if I put my money in way ahead. This stems from my feeling that I should never show any weakness, ever, from my college days of needing to argue with pretentious, "upstanding" individuals all day, and only losing control when it is me that fails to prove a point (even if Im right, its being unable to demonstrate my side that puts me in a combatative state).

TO analogize it a little better, when someone sucks out, a lot of people tilt b/c of that- similar to how when people are trying to prove a point and someone is being bullheaded and doesn't listen, i.e. in both situations people are being influenced by factors out of their control. However in my case, when someone sucks out, or someone just isn't listening, it doesn't usually upset or anger me (unless its really really bad), unless in some way I see it as my own fault for the situation occuring. This is good usually for tilt control, until I question or doubt myself, wherein then when they suck out I will feel I did something wrong.