View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Re: question about 25NL

[ QUOTE ]
so why did you carry on spending 10 minutes analysing each hand if it seemed pointless then?, could you give an example of this so i can understand and try plz? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did I do it? Because the only way to learn is by doing things repeatedly. I always wondered how top players knew how to make mathematically-based decisions so intuitively, and one day I realized that it's probably just becasue they've studied their asses off to know their stuff. Kinda like a math professor being able to calculate derivatives in his head. Kinda like an old hand in this forum can come in here, read a HH, and automatically know which line he would've taken.

Calculus is actually a great example. While I'm sitting there for hours just doing problems that seem completely redundant, I hate life. However I don't do calculus problems for fun, and I don't do them to get an A in the class- I do them so that I can really learn the material.

I'll give you an example of what I'll do. Keep in mind this is purely a math excersize and has nothing to do with reading opponents. That's a whole other animal. I'll work out the pot odds I'm getting on every street, and the pot odds I'm giving villain on every street. I'll run a hand sim in Pokerstove using villain's VPIP in pokertracker as his range, to figure out my equity. I'll then figure out the EV of fold/check, call, or raise just for fun. I'm writing all this down on the HH printout as I go along.

Once you do this for any particular hand, you're never going to make whatever mistake you made in the hand again. It's helped me a ton, and since you have the time, I'd say you should try a couple hands a day to get started!