View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can actually get a real residence visa as a poker player if that is what you prefer to do. I'll probably go through the trouble some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you doing right now to stay in Argentina. Once your 90 or whatever day visa is up what do you do? I, like some others here, are looking to relocate for awhile, but i don't wanna have to move to a new country every 90 days. Can you do visa runs or anything like that?

If anyone has anymore information about applying for a self-employment visa (poker) please feel free to chime in.

What is the climate like year round in Argentina? Are the beaches nice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Argentine Tourist Visa Information

When you arrive they will ask you the purpose of your visit. Just say you are a tourist. They will stamp your passport with a Visa that is good for 90 days. This is free. They will give you something to give them on your way out, but if you lose it isn't the end of the world.

Within the first 60 days (or while you still have at least 30 days left on that visa), you can go down to someplace in BsAs and get it extended for another 90 days for a 100 peso ($33) fee. In this manner you are essentially getting a 180 day tourist visa. This can only get an extension once per entry into the country.

So after 180 days, you must leave. Fortunately, Buenos Aires is on the water and Uruguay is right across from it. You can take a 120 peso ferry to Colonia and back that will take about 9 hours roundtrip. I believe they have an express ferry that is around 200-250 pesos and will take you one hour each way (plus around two hours of waiting time in Colonia in which to grab lunch or something). When you come back on the ferry you get a new 90 day visa even if it is the same day.

You can also obviously leave to Chile, Brazil, the USA, or any other country and get a new visa when you return, but Colonia, Uruguay is the closest. If you overstay your visa, you have to pay a fine on the way out. I've never heard of anyone getting too much of a hassle when trying to return after overstaying their visa, but I've heard it can mess up you getting a residence visa at a later date. Also, they are free to change their mind at any point.

For the residence visa you need to either set up an Argentine corporation and hire yourself as a necessary employee (some sort of BS managerial role) or you need to be receiving sufficient dividends from investments (can even be in your own offshore corporation) to sustain yourself in Argentina. It's complicated and sucks. Plus you owe taxes on worldwide assets if you have residence here.

Buenos Aires is about the same latitude as San Diego. It is more humid, but not Florida like. The summer average high is in the mid 80s. The winter average high is around 60. So pretty temperate. Here is a link to weather.com's averages for Buenos Aires.

For beaches, there are no beaches in Buenos Aires. It is a port city. However, Mar de la Plata is about a 4 hour bus ride away, and Punta, Uruguay is a tad bit longer on a ferry. Both are really good beaches. Argentina has a very diverse range of landscape in the country, much like the USA. Argentina has glaciers, snowy mountains for skiing, a huge wine country, beaches, etc. If you live here there is ton to see outside of the city.