View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: 100/200 SH AA hand with nut low draw, delaying the raise until tur

[ QUOTE ]
A few more questions on this hand assuming it is played against an unknown: If I do 3bet the flop whats my plan if villain calls and the same turn card comes?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Hi 2handed - Villain check raised your flop bet!

In so doing, he's signaling that he has flopped a set of queens. Does he really have the queens or not? I don't know. Maybe he just has a set of deuces or treys. Either way your pair of aces sucks for high (unless he's bluffing). You'll make the nut low 504/990 and you'll get counterfeited 210/990. (The other 276/990, nobody makes low because low will be impossible).

Why would you re-raise?

Yet if you do re-raise, you somehow will generally make play more difficult for your opponent. [ QUOTE ]
If I do 3bet the flop whats my plan if villain calls and the same turn card comes?

[/ QUOTE ]I assume that if Villain really has the set of queens, Villain will probably cap if you make it three bets on the flop and then bet the turn.

But maybe Villain will just call, greedily hoping that you bet again on the turn and he will get in an amazing second check-raise. In that case, if Villain makes the mistake of checking after the turn, it seems better to take the free card, hoping for the best on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
If I 3bet flop and he caps and then leads the turn are you raising a 6 7 8?
What if it is a club?

[/ QUOTE ]Interesting question. If it's a six or an eight, a straight is already possible. And if the turn is a club, a club flush is already possible. Can you knock Villain off a set with a raise? I don't know. With a six or eight you'll have the nut low, so that the risk seems to be to get counterfeited on the river for low (in which case you'll still have a live ace or four for low) or to get quartered for low by Villain. Against that is the chance you'll blow Villain away with the raise or catch an ace on the river for trip aces.

After the flop enables a straight or flush a raise would probably at least scare the beejeebers out of Villain and certainly would put Villain under a lot of pressure (assuming he doesn't have that covered). Interesting idea. But first you have to get a six, eight, or club on the turn (and then he has to not have that covered).

I think you can make that sort of play work better for you in a pot limit or no-limit game than in a limit game. But it's an interesting idea.

Buzz