View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Why \"x% of people have y% of the wealth\" is irrelevant.

Despite your conclusion that there is something 'great' or 'morally right' about capitalism, it is in the end, just another economic theory. One that is working, to be sure, but still it has its flaws and will eventually be replaced by some other product of human reasoning and imagination. That you write off the symptom's of your systems failure you dismissively merely reawakens the viewer to your huge bias towards this system.

C) Are you so sure? Giving people what they want is not neccessarily "good for them". If my friend wants to commit suicide, should I give him a gun? Or if my friend addicted to heroin wants to shoot up, should I go out and buy him a needle? Happiness is not obtained by material things (nor, it is important to note it is not taken away by them) but there are things that can take away happiness. Starvation, for example, or a life dulled and removed from inspiration. Death. What is good for someone as a customer or consumer may not be good for a nation, or a person.