View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: This Season of SNL

[ QUOTE ]
But they didn't. This is a myth. Have you seen the season 1 DVD from the 70's? For all the great material there were some real ducks in there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...when did I ever talk about season 1?

[ QUOTE ]
I think when we look back at SNL - especially the Golden Years with Ackroyd, Belushi and Chase - it's easy to do so through rose colored glasses. At the time it was something that people had not ever seen on television and when they hit they hit big - but they had more than their fair share of duds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of that stuff is overrated, but I was too young for it when it was fresh. So I may be too harsh on stuff that may not have aged well.

[ QUOTE ]
Murphy/Piscopo; Carvey/Nealon/Myers; Sandler/Farley/Spade - all the same but without the advantage of being novel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those last two groupings were in the same era, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
I love SNL and I'm guilty of being an apologist but even I recognize that perfection is nearly impossible to attain in sketch comedy - especially one that is produced on a weekly basis. Second City has a tough enough time doing it and they get to run the same show for several months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sketch shows that got it right almost all the time (IMO of course):

Mr. Show
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Chappelle Show

Chappelle Show is obviously different because all the sketches were taped, but whatevs.