Thread: Amazing Laydown
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Amazing Laydown

Tell me why this guy saved me ~$1000?

$3/5 NL - I buy in for $500 and I'm a little over double my stack after about an hour or 90 min.

One of the regulars I play with, very tight player, bets the nuts, folds marginal hands, doesn't slowplay, rarely bluffs; he's the big stack with ~$1,700 or so.

Live straddle and he's on the botton, 7 limpers, he makes it $90 to go (obv has a hand as he wouldn't attempt to steal). SB folds, BB goes all in for last $98.

Before it gets back to me in MP, there are 3 callers already with 3 people still left to act! I have 99 and decide that if I call, or even if not, most will probably call these amazing odds to try to catch a monster because orig raise was $80 and the $98 all in was not enough to re-open action.

Right before the last person before the button calls, the tight player says "wow, i should have made it more, I might earn myself $25".

This is HUGE because the cardhouse I play at just started a promotion for the next week, from 12am midnight to 8am, if you get AA cracked, the loser gets $25 for his aces... the sad part for him, I know he's telling the truth, and he says this out loud to the table.

Total pot preflop ~$700

7 players, flop comes A-9-4 rainbow. BINGO!!!!! (or not?)

How the F*#% is this a scary flop for me. Checks around to original raiser and he stands up, visibly shaking and says "forget this slowplay s%&#, I'm all in!!" and moves in for $1700!?!

WTF?! So its back around to me, and I'm recognizing I have a HUGE hand, trying to think about how set vs set doesn't exist but now I'm 95% sure he has top set, he wouldn't do that if he didn't, he's too tight! This guy won't even call hands with HUGE ODDS even if he has 2 pair or a small flush, I mean he really is super tight.

I sit there for about 4 minutes, I have time called on me 2 times because damn near the whole cardhouse is watching... I flip over 99 and throw my cards into the MUCK and he flips over AA!

He had the perfect flop for a set of aces, no scare cards, and he messed it up. He did take down a $700 pot, but why not an $1,800 one? Oh well, I'm not complaining but I would have kept my mouth shut and at least made a flop bet of 1/3 the pot or something to get another $200-$300... then if someone raises, push all in and they either call with obv a worse hand or they fold and you have some more money for the best flop in the history of the world.

oh well, nh.